I am not a human being
trying to have a spiritual experience.
I am a spirit being
mastering the human experience.

Wednesday 19 January 2011

Walt Whitman


Walter "Walt" Whitman (1819 – 1892) an American poet, essayist and journalist.
Whitman was a religious skeptic: though he accepted all churches, he believed in none. God, to Whitman, was both immanent and transcendent and the human soul was immortal and in a state of progressive development.

"This is what you shall do:
Love the earth and sun and the animals,
Despise riches, give alms to everyone that asks,
Stand up for the stupid and crazy,
Devote your income and labors to others,
Hate tyrants, argue not concerning God,
Have patience and indulgence toward the people,
Take off your hat to nothing known or unknown,
Or to any man or number of men,
Go freely with powerful uneducated persons,
And with the young and with the mothers of families,
Read these leaves in the open air,
Every season of every year of your life,
Reexamine all you have been told,
At school at church or in any book,
Dismiss whatever insults your own soul,
And your very flesh shall be a great poem,
And have the richest fluency not only in its words,
But in the silent lines of its lips and face,
And between the lashes of your eyes,
And in every motion and joint of your body."

"I am as bad as the worst, but, thank God, I am as good as the best."

"In the faces of men and women, I see God."

"When I give, I give myself."

"The future is no more uncertain than the present."

"Be curious, not judgmental."

"Have you learned the lessons
only of those who admired you, and were tender with you, and stood aside for you? Have you not learned great lessons from those who braced themselves against you, and disputed passage with you?"

"I am of old and young,
of the foolish as much as the wise,
Regardless of others, ever regardful of others..."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Walt Whitman!! I've got Leaves of Grass on my bookshelf :D And add to his awesomness: he's featured in the Quaker Reader because he was a friend of Friends.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...